Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Making phone friends



I didn't get a newspaper yesterday or today. Yesterday I just shrugged it off but I do like to read the paper with my morning coffee so today I decided to call the Customer Service number which is, of course, automated.

You hit 1 for a problem with today's paper and 2 for a problem with yesterday's paper. I was puzzling this one over and then The Voice said to hit 3 for other problems. I decided that was me with my double complaint. But The Voice on #3 said that she-was-sorry-but-the-voice-mailbox-was-full-good-by.

There were no other options for delivery problems. A number was listed if I wanted to talk about international news among other things but nothing for circulation. Again I puzzled for a moment and then I decided that I'd call the publisher. Her name was nice and big and at the very top. I left a message about no paper, the Customer Service robot who wouldn't listen to me, and how I felt a bit cross about the whole thing. And then I got ready and went to school and forgot all about this.

But they didn't forget me. I guess when you call the publisher, it gets things rolling. I had a message from the Vice-President in Charge of Circulation, the Circulation Manager, and Marlene Down in Circulation...all within a half hour. All left their personal extensions in case of future problems I might have and all want to talk to me as soon as possible. And the carrier came by with the papers and two phone numbers to reach him. I'm surrounded by new friends! I'm waiting for someone to bring me a pie!

I wouldn't have met all these nice people if the paper had a human Customer Service rep or listed a number to call for circulation problems. Seems simple to me and yet I'm sure they think this automated stuff make things better. Go figure.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Yes but think of your new friends! I think the Bloom Thanksgiving table will be crowded with new faces this year. . .