Thursday, June 19, 2008

Doctor Dearth Visit #4: 1st pill gone

I have been discussing this withdrawal with Dr. Dearth and also my former psychiatrist for months. I made the decision to ditch the psychiatrist when he told me that I would fail at this ...plus he has also ticked me off numerous times over the years. God love him, there was a time and place for him. That time and place has passed.

Dr. Dearth, hereafter known as Jerry, was open to helping me with this and has been encouraging and supportive. Jerry started me on Klonapin, another benzodiazepine a week ago. This seems counterintuitive...get off anxiety meds by adding another anxiety med. But the Klonapin will help with the withdrawal symptoms (we all hope and pray) and is much easier to quit later on.

My directions: cut my blood pressure meds in half because the Klonapin has lowered my bp to the point where I have as much energy and pep as a stick of furniture. Take Benedryl for help in sleeping. Drink beer or wine as long as I don't get carried away. Continue to go to the Y for water aerobics and then ride my bike later in the day. Keep a structure to my days.

What to expect: Withdrawal symptoms. Much anxiety and irritability, physical sensations like palpitations and sweating. Jerry said it could get bad and if it does, I should give him a call. I can also use deep breathing and all the other anxiety tools I have learned over the years.

I feel like I am jumping into deep water! Here I go.....

1 comment:

kate said...

I FEEL your pain and hope this goes better than expected. If not, than we can be dizzy and queasy together! Kate