Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why I make doll clothes

Doll clothes are fiddley with lots of stopping and starting. You spend as much time cutting out as you do sewing. You can't get much of a flow going because what you are working on is too small. And the hand sewing! Yikes!

And yet I do it happily. I have been thinking about the reasons why:

1. The doll clothes receiver typically shows tremendous gratitude. (see above photo)
2. It's a small project and done quickly.
3. Dolls are more fun if they have lots of clothes and this is a fairly cheap way to outfit all those children.
4. Doll clothes can last forever. I remember watching my grandmother make doll clothes for my dolls. My kids used those doll clothes and now Samantha has them. What else can you sew that lasts that long? A quilt but that's a huge project...this is fast. (See #2)
5. My grandma made doll clothes for me, I made doll clothes for my kids' dolls, now Kate and I are making doll clothes for Scout. It's a connection with the past.
6. It's a way to make memories.

So as long as we have doll lovers in the family, I'll keep my sewing machine oiled and ready.

2 comments:

Sam B. said...

Don't forget reason #7: it pretties up those wonderful calendars we get from Samantha every year!

kate said...

She's so cute! And of course my twin grandbabies are pretty cute, too!