Friday, December 19, 2008

Temporary relocation

An ice storm scares me as much as any other storm. It is beautiful but dangerous and damaging. We had a whopper of an ice storm last night and 15 hours later, we are still without power.

Luckily, we can afford to pick up and move to a local motel where there is plenty of power and all the things electricity make possible...like writing in my blog. But I keep thinking about home. Did any more branches fall? We already had quite a few big one down. Is the redbud tree going to make it? It was terribly stressed by the weight of the ice and had developed a crack in its trunk. If it stays this cold for another week like the weather people are saying, will the ice build up do even more damage as it sits on the tree branches for days? Will our pipes freeze? Our house is cold and dark. I don't like that thought.

I'm not a person who dislikes winter but this...this is something different. And scary.

No comments: