Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dad

Ever since my mom died almost 12 years ago, I've been part of the team that cared for my dad. He lived alone and was able to be by himself most of that time but he still needed to be cared for...first because of his grief, then because he needed the companionship, gradually because he needed help with everyday tasks. I didn't do anywhere near as much as Beth and Amy but spending time with him was part of the rhythm of my week.

He was very sick when he died two weeks ago. Thank God he was only sick for about three weeks at the very end. It was so hard to see him in such pain and I said more than once that I hoped he would die. Then he did. I was expecting relief and there is relief but I have been surprised by the depth of my sorrow.

I'm glad that he is at rest. I even think that in some way I don't understand, he is with his Peggy and all of his family who have died. But I'm sad for me. And I'm sad for our family. This is sad.
But these eight grandkids...I can see parts of him in all of them. And I tell you...my dad was really something. He will be remembered for a long time.

4 comments:

Sam B. said...

That was really nice, Mom. Thanks for writing that! I was also pretty surprised at how sad I was on Saturday - I think for me it was being far away when he actually died, so for two weeks it was still sort of an abstract concept. I do think that wherever he is, he (or his soul, or something, I don't know) is truly happy for the first time since Grandma died.

kate said...

What nice thoughts, Mom. He was a FUN grandpa and I know that he enjoyed all of us and his great-grandkids, too. I'm glad I had 36 years with him but I'm so happy he's with Gramma now. I imagine him telling her all about Ian and Samantha...

Ellen said...

He really was a fun Grandpa and I felt like seeing him was part of my routine too, ever since we started going out to breakfast way back when i was in high school. I'm glad I got to spend as much time with him as I did and I will never forget all the little quirks that made him who he was.

Meg said...

I love the fact that all three of you wrote such sweet and touching things. What wonderful kids and grandkids you all are.