Thursday, July 3, 2008

Oh dear

Remember the fellow I plowed down in the pool? The next time I saw him, I looked more closely and with a gentler eye and it was obvious that he has had a stroke. He probably never even saw me because one side of his face, when I looked with my gentler eye, was involved. Also the arm on that side. Oh dear....

I decided that I can't make amends to him directly because that would make too big a deal out of this and possibly scare him out of the water for the rest of his days. After all, he probably thinks it was an accident instead of a hit-and-run. So my amends are to remember this incident and to keep in the forefront of my mind that: 1. My snap judgements are likely to be wrong 2. Even if it feels like a big deal, it probably isn't 3. Kindness matters and I want to be kind (even when going through withdrawal).

Kindness and patience are becoming a bit harder as I take away that chemical and adjust but I can do this! Today I see Jerry again and hopefully move down another notch. Then Stew and I head out to spend a couple of funfilled days with Sam and Gail in Cincinnati.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

well, maybe we should have realized nobody could be that big a bastard on purpose. . . still, reenacting the scene in the pool was quite enjoyable!