Friday, April 2, 2010

And so we leave ancient Egypt....

One of the pitfalls of doing this kind of simulation with gifted kids is that their sensitivity can lead to broken hearts over seemingly minor (in my adult eyes) matters. Our little slave who in this picture seems to be laughing while making PEAKhamen comfortable was actually fighting off tears.

She had wanted to be pharaoh but ended up in slavery. I'm pretty sure that could have happened, I'm pretty sure that is not historically inaccurate but for this slave, the cut was too cruel. When the tears began, I took her back behind the feast, gave her some root beer and a pep talk, spoke to the pharaoh about toning it down a notch, and we proceeded.

In real life she stayed BFF with PEAKhamen so from the vantage point of two weeks after the festival, I imagine all is well. But this reminded me that even when you think you are treading gently, even when you mean no harm, these little people have the tenderest of hearts and feel things to the Nth degree.

Side note: Family members, did you recognize the throne as Ian's rocking chair?

1 comment:

kate said...

This post reminds me of Ian! Such sensitivity!